Tweets

söndag 29 maj 2011

Operation: bypass PS3 Media Server

I like when things just work when I want to watch a movie. But often when it is time there is always some problem making that evening a technical pain. I could just go and rent a blue ray for 50 SEK, but I am a computer geek, not a movie geek.

One of the "problems" was the setup I had: a nas (Qnap 219p), a computer (not in the living room), a PS3 connected to tv (without network connection). The movies are located in the Qmultimedia folder on the Qnap running Twonky which is accessed from my PS3. In other words I stream from nas to tv. But the problem is that when I downloaded movies to the Qnap they were located in the Qdownload folder, which is not visible. So each time I downloaded a movie I could do two things:
  1. copy the movie from Qdownload to Qmultimedia
  2. start the computer and run PS3 Media Server which has access to Qdownload throw network share
After a lot of copying I ended up doing the latter. Both are manual tasks and nothing is more boring than stupid manual tasks. It was time to stop. It was time for operation bypass PS3 Media Server. Geeky...

The solution was a lot simpler than I thought, well thanks to my cousin:
  1. connect to Qnap with Putty
  2. navigate to /share/Qmultimedia and create a soft link to Qdownload with ln -s /share/Qdownload
On the PS3 you go Video > Twonky Media  > videos > By Folder > here you should have the Qdownload folder visible as shown in the picture.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar