Tweets

torsdag 20 oktober 2011

Icescrum and Amazon EC2 - in cloud, not in heaven

I have been looking for a software project management service for my personal projects. At one customer I used Target Process which if found to be quit good. Unfortunately it is not cheap. However, today I found a free and open source alternative: Icescrum.

Going for the free alternative I wanted to run Icescrum in Tomcat on my Qnap, so I needed to install the Java JRE-plugin. Since my Qnap is an ARM that was not so easy. After some struggling I gave up. Maybe this was  the perfect time to try the >elastic compute cloud<? They say that the cloud is the future, the solution.

Signed up at Amazon. Gave away my credit card. Chose the cheapest instance. Uploaded Icescrum war-file using Beanstalk and... yeah I'm in cloud. However, not in heaven. I was just finished making my first scrum story when it first appeared. Permgen...

Maybe I just could stay doing software project management in my spreadsheet. Maybe this is one example how to shave a yak. Maybe its better to be down to earth than up in the cloud?

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar